Asking questions is a good thing and we love questions! Here is a great list of questions from brides.com that you should discuss with your wedding DJ. Here is the original post from Brides.com, compiled and written by Heather Lee.
The Basics + Background Information
• Is my wedding date available?
• How long have you been in business?
• How many weddings have you done?
• Do you perform at more than one event in a day?
• Will you be the DJ/bandleader at our wedding?
• Have you done events at my venue?
• What sets you apart from your competition?
• Are there any other services that you provide, such as lighting design?
• Can you provide me with recent couples that I can contact for references?
• Can you assist me in choosing the music for my processional, recessional, father-daughter dance, etc.?
• How extensive is your music library or song list? What genres can you cover?
• How do you keep your music collection up-to-date?
• If the DJ scheduled for my event is unable to perform for some reason, do you have a backup replacement ready to go?
• Do you act as the “emcee” and make all of the announcements?
• How would you define your “style” when making announcements?
• What do you do to motivate the crowd if nobody is dancing?
• Do you take requests from our guests?
• Can we submit a “Do Not Play” list?
Pricing and Payment:
• What is included in the cost of my event?
• Does this include setup and breakdown between ceremony and reception locations?
• How much would you charge for overtime?
• Are there any additional fees that could accrue that I am not taking into account, like travel expenses or charges for special requests?
• When will I receive a written contract?
• How much of a deposit do you require and when is it due? Do you offer a payment plan?
• What is your refund/cancellation policy?
• How far in advance do I need to book you?
• What information do you need from me before the wedding day?
• Can you provide wireless mics for the ceremony?
• Does any of your equipment require special electrical outlets that I need to inform my wedding site about?
• Do you bring backup equipment?
• What kind of space do you require for the DJ? If my site doesn’t provide what you need, will you make arrangements for the stage or am I responsible for renting it?
• Do you set up a sign or banner with your equipment?
• How much time will you need for setup, sound check and breakdown on the day of the event?
• What time will you arrive at the site?
• Will we meet again before the wedding?
• When do we need to submit our music requests and event details?
• What will you wear to our wedding?
• Do you require a meal?
• What is your policy on alcohol or smoking during the wedding?